18th December

Grant-aid committed to light up piers on Donegal islands

Máirín Uí Fhearraigh

Dinny McGinley T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, has announced grant aid amounting to €67,000 to Donegal County Council towards providing lights for various piers on off-shore islands in Donegal.

This is a 75% grant with the remaining 25% being funded by the County Council.  Announcing the investment Minister McGinley that funding for new and additional lighting “is evidence of the commitment of this Government to ensuring the continued viability of our island lifestyle. At a time when there is unprecedented pressure on resources, I am particularly pleased to make this allocation,” he said.

“Our off shore islands have a unique attraction and these facilities will greatly enhance them as a tourist destination as well as for the islanders themselves.”

Location

Type of light  Number Cost
Gola Island Conventional 3 €10,500
Inishsirrer Hybrid 1 €14,500
Rutland Island Conventional  1 €4,000
Island Roy      
(Cabhsa) Conventional 3 €9,000
 (Sleamhnán) Conventional 1 €4,000
Inishmeane Hybrid  1  €14,500
Owey Island Hybrid 1 €10,500
 TOTAL      €67,000

  

Spread the News

Small islands thinking big
Think safety first, advises Irish Water Safety
Insomnia founder to chair all-island tourism initiative
Shine a Light on Irish lighthouses 2017
Small islands thinking big

Ireland was represented at the ESIN/European Small Islands Federation AGM and seminar (Sept 11-13) o [ ... ]

Think safety first, advises Irish Water Safety

Lifeguards have rescued 185 casualties from Ireland’s beaches, rivers and lakes since June. Over 2 [ ... ]

Insomnia founder to chair all-island tourism initi...

The Great Lighthouses of Ireland partnership developed by the Commissioners of Irish Lights has appo [ ... ]

Shine a Light on Irish lighthouses 2017

SATURDAY 29 APRIL - MONDAY MAY 1 The May Bank Holiday weekend kick-starts the 2017 Great Lighthous [ ... ]